Wednesday 27 March 2013

It's all about the little things.

Oh my goodness you guys!!
Firstly, I need to say a massive, massive thank you to everyone who commented and bid on my auctioned quilt last month. It sold for £110, all of which went directly to Safe Rescue to help pay for Fili's vet bills.


I'm pleased to say that thanks to Safe Rescue and Olive who was fostering him in Newcastle, Fili has now found a fur-ever home, and is settled and content. How wonderful is that?!
(If you don't know, my post about Fili is here)

I can't tell you how good it feels that this poor boy has got his happy ending. But you know what? I know, I know very well, that there are so many dogs still in Romanian shelters who may never get the chance to be a happy ever after story. They will pass away from this world without anyone telling their story. Before any of the amazing people I've come across over the last month get a chance to help them. The truth is, it all comes down to numbers and cost - a horrific equation for these poor souls who just want the chance to be loved.
If you're interested in learning more about dogs from Romania, and have a strong constitution (or a glass of wine and some tissues), Safe rescue have written this piece on what a 'public shelter' in Romania is.

It's horrible, and it makes me feel hopeless. But then I think -  you know what, we can do something. Something small - make a difference to just ONE dog. In one blink, I've suddenly got my sewing mojo back - I've got motivation - I'm going to sew and sew and sew - and offer the things I make in return for a donation to Safe Rescue, so that they can continue the work that they do so well.

So, I'm going to do a competition next, to win my Valentina Quilt - I know this is old school, but I was thinking of a guess the weight of the quilt competition?! I'd originally thought of doing a raffle, but after a couple of days reading through the law that governs on line raffles and gambling, I came to the conclusion that I was 
A.) losing the will to live and 
B.) I could not do it in a way that wouldn't land me in the slammer - so I have introduced an element of skill, and voila, it's a legal competition! I'll post again on Saturday 30th March with all of the details, again all money will go DIRECTLY to safe rescue, just to be clear! Any comments, suggestions to tweak the competition or brighter ideas then I'm likely to have in the near future, please leave 'em below!
Before I go and start cutting my next quilt, (Swoon, in Salt Water if you're a fabric geek and interested..) I want to introduce you to Jeni. Are you ready for a before and after photo shoot?

 
This is Jeni in a public shelter in Romania, some time in 2012. Amazingly, she survived and Safe Rescue helped to bring her to the UK on the 2nd February, 2013.   

This is her now.





She's at our house. This is her Fur-ever home. She arrived with us on the 2nd March as a foster dog but who were we kidding?! This gorgeous, timid, loving little girl is staying here, and we are going to do everything we can to give her the life she deserves.

4 comments:

  1. My heart it so happy to see Jeni in such a loving home. She's a beauty and I love that she got a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a very generous heart you have, I hope you raise lots of money!! Jeni is beautiful, I'm so glad she's with you! Do you know what breed(s) she is? My first dog (Toby - who my dad rescued from the side of the road when she was about 6 weeks old and I was 8 weeks old - she lived to age 17) looked similar, but the vet always said she was "pure mutt." We knew she was pure awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeni is actually the cutest dog I have every seen, cuter than MY dog and he's pretty handsome and shiny-eyed. Will look forward to the competition!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jeni is soooo lucky. Hubby found a puppy in the bush near where he was working just out of Darwin. Some on had dumped a litter of puppies. We had her for almost 20 years and she was the most loving and sensitive animal. It is hard to believe how cruel humans can be. On a brighter note Jeni is beautiful now.

    ReplyDelete